Saturday, June 18, 2011

Father's Day Tribute to our Farmer Dads

Father's Day provides us with time to reflect on the things our dads have done for us as we have grown up. Both of our dads are farmers and have harvested many crops during their years spent working in the fields. I'm sure the seeds they are most proud of planting are those sown in their children. The seeds of determination, hard work, integrity, offering a helping hand to those in need, optimism, a love for agriculture and family are planted in each of their children.

Adam about his Dad:

My dad's not the typical one you see on the TV commercials that is playing a board game with his son and is encouraging him and then they go eat a bowl of cereal together and the dad rubs the kid's head and says something real corny. That's not my dad at all-he's pretty much the opposite. Well, that's not entirely true. I was just being funny. Growing up my dad would help me with sports and we would play catch and stuff like that. But my dad is not the type of person who tells you, "Good Job, I'm proud of you." It's just something I've gotten used to, even though I know he is proud but he just doesn't say it. I've learned so much from my dad and grandpa as I have grown up. They have been role models and teachers I have turned to when I have questions about farming. I am very grateful for everything my dad has done for me and how he has helped me get started farming. I'm very lucky to be farming with him and following in his footsteps and even though we have our disagreements there isn't anyone else I would rather be working with everyday. Thanks for setting a great example for me, Abby, Sara, and Jamie. Happy Father's Day!



Melissa to her Dad:

Dad,

I inherited several things from you, my dimples, my love of ice cream, Mountain Dew, Life cereal and K-State. Growing up I was your combine girl and always loved riding along with you in the tractor. You are a man of actions rather than words and it was your actions I observed and learned from as I grew up. Watching you take care of a newborn calf for most of the night instilled in me my love for cattle and animals. Seeing you help others made me want to help too. Sitting next to you in the church pew every Sunday allowed me to learn there is someone we can turn to in our time of need, and that we are not alone in this life. Watching you persevere through hardships and adversity with an optimistic attitude allowed me to see the good and positive in every situation. Seeing you make jokes and be ornery helped me learn life should not be taken too seriously and laughter is the best cure for what ails you. You are a man of honor, integrity, a steward of the land, a caretaker to the animals and someone Dan, Kate, and I are proud to call our Dad. We love you very much and Happy Father's Day!



Wedding photos courtesy of Erica May Photography.



What we failed to put into words ourselves is said in this video.

3 comments:

  1. Great Post!

    http://jentsfrontporch.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that video Such a nice tribute to all farmers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jent and Jim,

    Welcome to Born to Pharm! Thank you for your comments and I look forward to reading more of them in the future!

    Jent thank you for the blog address, I will be sure to check it out soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...