Saturday, June 11, 2011

Kitten Rescue

Adam and I were able to tame a barn cat a few years ago, we name the cat Hank. We later learned Hank is a Henrietta, due to the fact she had kittens a little over a month ago. Yesterday was the first day the kittens had ventured up to the house from the barn. Adam noticed them through the window of the door before he stepped outside to leave for the day. He came back to the living room to tell me the kittens were outside. We walked to the back door to look at them and they were gone. We didn't see them anywhere, we looked under my car, around the house and couldn't find them.

Adam left and I got ready for work. Before I left I checked under the car to make sure the kittens were not under there. I drove the 35 miles to work, and then back home again once my 8 hour shift was over.

When I got out of my car I heard meowing, and it sounded like it was coming from the engine of the car. Several things went through my mind at this point. Things such as: oh my goodness I have to save this poor little kitten; the potential possibility of finding a dead kitten once I opened the hood; holy moly a cat has been in my engine all day and it didn't fall out while I was driving??!!

I opened up my hood and found not one, but TWO kittens stuck by the car battery. I managed to get them untangled and set free. I examined their bodies and didn't see any signs of burns, I let them walk around and from their movements it looked like they did not have any broken bones. I was concerned the kittens would be dehydrated after being stuck in there all day. Thankfully it was not hot yesterday like it had been earlier in the week, otherwise things might have turned out differently. I tried to get the kittens to drink water from a bowl, but they didn't seem interested. Then I tried putting them in a cardboard box with Hank to let them nurse, but Hank kept jumping out.

These two guys were stuck by my battery.
I think I'm going to name them AC and DC.

I soon realized why Hank wouldn't let the other two kittens nurse. She kept going over to my car, then she started meowing, and that's when I heard another meow from the engine. What?!!? Another kitten was stuck in there ALL day?!! I searched and searched and did not see the kitten. I kept listening for it, and narrowed the search area down to the right side of my car. I then looked under my front wheel and saw a tail sticking out by the strut. I tried to pull the kitten through the gap, but it was too big, I was able to peel the plastic back and set it free. The kitten was then able to climb into the engine part of the car. I found it and reached down and pull it to safety. This kitten was also free of any burns and broken bones. Thank goodness!! Once all three kittens were reunited with Hank she allowed them to nurse. I was relieved and glad they were getting some fluids in their body.

Momma cat, AKA Hank, assisting with the search and rescue.

This little guy was stuck up under the wheel well,
by the strut of my front tire. I was able to pull the plastic
back so it could get free. It then managed to crawl in
this tight space and I was able to get him out of here. This
kitten's name will probably be Strut.

Reunited with momma cat. She finally let them
nurse once all three kittens were set free.

She doesn't look too pleased. I think she might have enjoyed
her day of freedom.

After the kittens nursed for a little bit I was holding them and playing with them. Then two of them got away from me and CLIMBED RIGHT BACK UP IN THE ENGINE!!! Sheesh!! These cats must have a death wish or something. I was able to get the orange one out right away. The black one climbed up in a spot I could not reach. I spent about 30 minutes trying to rescue it. Then Hank decided to step in and offer some assistance. She climbed up in the engine and moved the kitten my way a little bit. I was then able to reach the kitten and set it free for a second time. My car is now parked away from the house to try to prevent the kittens from using it as a kitty condo.

These little kittens experienced the ride of their lives yesterday. I'm so thankful they were not injured, made it home safely, and I was able to free them from their predicament.

All three kittens were rescued and unharmed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...